This is Why We Read, Preach, and Teach the Whole Bible

Let me tell you why it’s wise to teach the whole Bible (or “the whole counsel of God” as some like to say). When the Holy Spirit is involved, he knows exactly what every person there needs to hear. The Spirit guides the preacher who wants to be a vessel for his work. He takes seemingly less […]

ICYMI–Three Ways to Promote Healthy Relationships

Earlier this week, I had a post over at the Collegiate Collective (where I’m one of the editors) on promoting healthy relationships. It’s been well-received. Here’s the lede: Here we go again! It’s that time of year. You know what I mean: with Valentine’s Day nearly upon us, the litany of relationship talk reaches a […]

Should I Go? The Both/And of Body Life

Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ. Acts 5:42 As a campus minister and pastor, I have a lot of conversations with people about their involvement in church, fellowship groups, and small groups. I’m noticing an increasing […]

The Problem with Calling it “Happy Valley”

[This post is from the archives. Every once in a while I’ll be re-posting articles that have recurring interest and were well-received the first time around. I originally posted this in November 2010. Given the events that came to light in November 2011, which are still impacting our community, these words are still timely.] In […]

Simple But Powerful Gestures

Sometimes the simplest gestures are the most powerful. One of my students named Connor recently demonstrated this, as he shared how he’s been reaching out to the people in his dorm. Connor is a freshman, and towards the end of last semester, he was looking for winsome ways to share his faith with the people walking […]

Introducing COLLEGEMINISTRY.COM

For those of you connected to the world of college ministry, I want to tell you about an exciting new project and resource that I’m connected with, collegeministry.com. I think we’re on the front end of a renaissance in the field of college ministry. While literature on and for our […]

Introducing BEYOND THE SILENCE

I’ve been extremely busy lately with a new organization I’ve founded, called Beyond the Silence.  BTS is dedicated to telling stories that bring healing and hope to survivors of child sexual abuse, through Jesus Christ.  Our new website just went up a few days ago, at beyondthesilence.net We had our first event this […]